The Dutch and Fort Nassau
Sometime between 1623 and 1626 the Dutch created a trading post called Fort Nassau on the eastern shore of the Delaware River. The location in said to be south of the Timmer Kil. [ Kil is the Dutch word meaning creek.]
As far back as 1827, research indicates that Timmer Kil is what today is now known as the Newton Creek. But after the English took over the area from the Dutch, the English mis-labeled Timmer Kil as present day Timber Creek. This continues to lead to confusion as to the location of the fort.
Fort Nassau would be occupied on and off, over the years by the Dutch in order to trade with the local Lenni Lenape people who had lived in the area for about 10,000 years.
Once the Swedes began to settle in the lower sections of the Delaware River in the area of present day State of Delaware, the Dutch occupied the fort more regularly in order to protect their claim to the area.
1648 - "signed: A. Hudde. Done at Fort Nassouw on the South River of New Netherland, this 7 November 1648." ....
Andries Hudde was in charge of Fort Nassau on the South River (Delaware River) for the Dutch West India Company.
Much of his time on the Delaware River was having to deal Governor Johan Björnsson Printz and the Swedes who also claimed rights to the lands along the Delaware River.
Images courtesy of the New York State Archives: [ https://digitalcollections.archives.nysed.gov/index.php/Detail/objects/50687 ]
Cornelis Jacobsen Mey
May be not?
1623, 1624,1625 or 1626?
Although it has always been thought that the 1st Director of the Dutch North American Cornelis Jacobsen Mey had founded Fort Nassau it was more likely Peter Minuit .
Minuit is credited with the purchase of the island of Manhattan from the Lenni Lenape. Minuit setup Fort Nassau when he was the 3rd Director of the Dutch North American colony of New Netherland from 1626 until 1631. Later on he founded the Swedish colony of New Sweden on the Delaware Peninsula in 1638.