Rock N Roll
Billy Haley and The Comets
The Twin Bar in Gloucester City
Bill Haley is considered to be one of the first true rock stars and as such, Gloucester City can be considered one of the birth places of Rock 'n Roll.
In 1951, Bill Haley and his band then known as the Saddlemen started playing in Gloucester City at the Twin Bar on the corner of Market Street and Broadway.
As early as March 1951 to late December 1952, "Billy Haley and his Saddlemen" would give birth to their version of Rockabilly.
"This [ Twin Bar] is where we did 5 - 45 min. shows a night
6 nights a week, plus a one hour LIVE Radio Show everyday.
Billy, Johnny, and I, all made $60.00 per week except
Bill got leaders pay of $90.00."
- MARSHALL LYTLE of the Comets.
On New Year's Eve; December 31, 1952 the newly named "Bill Haley with Haleys Comets" would appear on an advertisement billing for the first time at the Berky's Seafood House in Chester PA.
Haley would go on to be one of the first stars of Rock n Roll. In 1987 Haley would be inducted into the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame in the 2nd year of the HOF.
The Comets would be inducted in 2012 in the HOF as a group.
In a 1953 advertisement, Bill Haley acknowledges the Twin Bar in the announcement of the band's new name.
Editors note: In 1952, the Saddlemen lineup consisted of Johnny Grande, Marshall Lytle and pedal-steel guitarist Billy Williamson. According to the band members they became The Comets in the fall of 1952. Our evidence indicates they still performed as the Saddlemen until December of 1952.
"Bill Haley at the Twin Bar Concert Handbill.
The Twin Bar
Broadway & Market Street
Gloucester City, NJ
( Currently closed and is in danger due to disrepair. )
[ Several attempts to contact D4Haley International were made in attempt to get permission for this photo, no response was received from the contact information. ]
As noted above, on New Year's Eve; December 31, 1952 the newly named "Bill Haley with Haleys Comets" would appear on an advertisement billing for the first time at the Berky's Seafood House in Chester PA.