Events

GLOUCESTER CITY HISTORICAL SOCIETY
PRESENTS
CIVIL WAR PRISONS PRESENTATION
BY JOE WILSON
JUNE 14, 2006
7:00 pm, GLOUCESTER CITY LIBRARY
Hudson & Monmouth Streets
GLOUCESTER CITY, NJ

Photo Gallery

ladyinthepark

Lady in The Park

Points of Interest

The Gloucester City Historical Society is committed to preserving the historical sites that remain while keeping alive the memory of those that are long gone.

  •  Fort Nassau
    • Fort Nassau was founded by the Dutch in 1623, and that fort was on Gloucester Point
  •  Huggs Tavern
    • Hugg’s Tavern, built in 1720 by William Hugg at Gloucester Point, was the headquarters of the British when they occupied Gloucester Town in 1777. It was where Betsy Griscom and John Ross married in 1773.
  •  Powell House
    • The Powell House was built by Arthur Powell in 1826 at the northwest corner of Market and Sussex streets. Powell was a farmer whose land was in the southern part of the city. The house was demolished in 1910, after his widow, Mary Burrough Powell, died in 1909 at the age of 101
  •  Gloucester Ferry Terminal
    • The Gloucester ferry terminal, where passengers waited to ride the boat to Philadelphia, was once located where Jersey and King streets now meet. It was destroyed by fire in the early 1920s
  •  Thompson Mansion
    • The Thompson Mansion was built in 1889 on the banks of the Delaware River at the foot of Cumberland Street by local tycoon and politician William J. “Billy” Thompson, who was known as the Duke of Gloucester. He lived there until his death in 1911. The building was used as a detention center during World War II and was demolished in 1949

CICRA

CIRCA is a quarterly publication of the Society

Prior editions will soon be available for online viewing

About the Society

The Gloucester City Historical Society was first organized in 1917; some of its early officers were David Doran and Clarence Capewell and others.  It was active in the 300th Anniversary of the settlement called Fort Nassau, which was held in 1923.

The Society was revived in 1946 by the Gloucester City Rotary as the Historical Society of Gloucester City.  Some of its Officers were Edmund Whittington, Harry F. Green and Albert Corcoran and others.  This grouped died off in the early 1980s.  In 1993, Joan Corcoran reorganized it as the Gloucester City Historical Society.  Following a very successful exhibit held at the Gloucester City Library in November of 1998, the membership swelled.  With the support of the City, the Society opened its Museum at 34 N. King Street, on July 4th 1999.

Between our Museum, our quarterly publication, CIRCA, which is now illustrated, and the many speakers we have as guests at our monthly meetings, we have, for a society our size, done very well at meeting our objectives.  But there is always need for improvement.  We are always in need of volunteers.